ARTS COMMISSION MEETING MINUTES | TUESDAY, JANUARY 12, 2016
MEMBERS PRESENT: Present were: Marc Cohen, Joyce Cutchins, Victoria Gonzalez, and Terry Mulligan
STAFF PRESENT: Staff Liaison Nicole Klein as well Megan Carnell. Kerry Murphy of OHW Paint and Taylor Morain of the City Youth Council also were in attendance.
- CALL TO ORDER – 6:10 PM
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- Motion to Approve by Terrence Mulligan, seconded by Victoria Gonzalez
- Motion to approve November 12, 2015 Arts Commission Meeting by Victoria Gonzalez with the stipulation the date be corrected in the header. Seconded by Terrence Mulligan.
- ACTION ITEMS AND UPDATES
- OLD BUSINESS
- Funding – Chair Marc Cohen discussed that a line item was included as seed money for the Arts Commission in the 2016 City budget. This seed money is $10,000 and should be used to facilitate arts in the City.
- Master Plan – In the month of February, the Arts Commission will host Nancy Harris, mayor of Duluth and Suzanne Holtkamp of the Suwanee Public Arts Commission. They will be discussing the process in developing a master plan.
- Partition Arrival – Chair Marc Cohen noted that the City thanks Special Events and the Arts Commission for the new partition which is intended for use during City events.
- NEW BUSINESS
- Chair Marc Cohen requested a motion to fill recently expired commission post #4. Terrence Mulligan nominated Joyce Cutchins to fill the post. This was seconded by Victoria Gonzalez and all were in favor.
Chair Marc Cohen requested a motion to filled recently expired commission post #5. Victoria Gonzalez nominated Terrence Mulligan to fill the post. This was seconded by Joyce Cutchins and all were in favor.
Chair Marc Cohen requested a motion to fill vacant commission post #7. Terrence Mulligan nominated Kerry Murphy. Victoria Gonzalez seconded the motion and all were in favor.
- Elections for Chair, Vice-Chair, and Treasurer was discussed and will be held at next meeting.
- A new iteration of wayfaring signage is to come and the Arts Commission will be expected to provide feedback
- The Arts Commission members will review Arts Master Plans in anticipation of the February meeting. Staff Liaison Nicole Klein will provide links to Master Plans as well as a copy of the zoning map so commission members could identify priority areas in the City.
- There will be 50 events hosted by the City this year. Special Events Coordinator Megan Carnell invited the Arts Commission to propose themes for several events in order to establish a stronger presence in the City.
- Kiwanis requested that the Arts Commission provide council on the number of judges required for their upcoming juried show in March as well as suggestions on judges themselves. Commission members are the reach out the Megan Carnell with any suggestions they may have.
ADJOURNMENT AT 7:10 PM – Motion to Adjourn by Terrence Mulligan, Seconded by Joyce Cutchins, all in favor