Sugar Hill Service Days
Waste and Recycling
A service announcement from Waste Management:
Waste Management has notified the city that the switch of bins to carts for recycling will begin on October 10, 2022 and should occur on your normal recycling day. Waste Management will leave the bin and if you do not want to keep the bin, please leave it in your garbage cart.
Any bins put at the curb for servicing after November 1, 2022 will not be collected. Recycling will only be serviced in a cart after November 1, 2022.
- If the resident has a recycling cart already, leaving it at the curb will ensure that the driver knows one is not needed and will prevent a second recycling cart from being delivered.
- If you receive calls from residents stating that the neighbor across the street was left a cart but they were not, please note that most drivers will service one side of the street and then circle back down the other side.
Effective November 1, 2022, Waste Management will make the following changes to recycling and trash services resulting in cleaner, safer, and more efficient collection:
- Transition into the use of trucks with an automated arm for trash and recycling collection
- Bag service will no longer be available
- Bag customers must call 404-794-6707 to set up service
- Bulk item collection must be scheduled directly through Waste Management (no bag required/fee applies)
- New rate of $18.25 per month covers both trash and recycling (billed quarterly)
- Customers in a small area of the city will experience a change in service days; however, anyone effected by this change will be directly notified by Waste Management via post card of your new date.
All residents should receive a post card from Waste Management within the coming weeks with this information as well as important cart placement information. Please contact Waste Management Customer Service directly at 404-794-6707 with any questions or service requests.
Due to the continued challenges posed by the ongoing labor shortage, higher operating costs, and the need to boost efficiency in its operations, Waste Management will no longer be providing bag collection services after November 1, 2022. The industry is shifting to automated trucks with one employee instead of two employees in one truck.
We understand the frustration this may cause for bag service customers and that there will be a cost increase going to cart service. As such, we have worked with Waste Management to investigate other alternatives like an optional smaller-sized cart. We are hopeful that in the future two sizes of carts will be available, but simply isn’t an option at this time.
The bags were also used to identify and pay for bulk waste curbside collection. With the elimination of the bag service, this will now be handled by way of call-in appointments and direct payments to Waste Management for the service.
Rate, Effective Date:
Many communities in our area are facing similar labor, equipment, and related challenges. These communities are facing much higher prices than our new negotiated rate of $18.25/month. The new rate will go into effect on the fourth quarter bill beginning November 1, 2022. This rate includes both your garbage and recycling collection.
These measures should help address many of the pressures facing this industry and allow a continuation of solid waste and recycling services to our community at a reasonable rate.
Residents of Sugar Hill now have one option for the waste collection provided by Waste Management:
- 95-Gallon Wheeled Service Cart
In addition, beginning November 1, 2022 95-gallon cart service will be provided for recyclables in place of the smaller 18-gallon bins. With this increased recycling capacity, service will be every other week instead of every week. Customers that have the 18-gallon bins will receive a 95-gallon cart during the transition in November. If you already have a recycling cart, the only change you will experience is the service moving from weekly to every other week. Click here for your recycling service schedule.
WE DO NOT RECYCLE GLASS, STEEL, STYROFOAM, BATTERIES, CLOTHING, AEROSOL CANS, MIRRORS, WAXED OR LAMINATED CARDBOARD, OR WOOD. PLEASE DO NOT BAG RECYCLING
Residents can now drop off their clean, empty glass containers at E.E. Robinson Park (885 Level Creek Road, Sugar Hill) (baseball/softball complex entrance) from sunrise to 11 p.m. unless posted otherwise. Visit GCSolidWaste.com for more information about glass recycling .
There will be no pickup on the following holidays:
- New Year's Day (Services will run on regular schedule – no delays)
- Memorial Day (Services will run on regular schedule – no delays)
- Independence Day (Services will run on regular schedule – no delays)
- Labor Day (Services will run on regular schedule – no delays)
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day (Services will run on regular schedule – no delays)
Routes will be pushed back by one day following a holiday
For example, if Christmas Day is Tuesday and your normal service day is Wednesday, you will be serviced on Thursday. Customers who are normally serviced on Friday of that week will be serviced on Saturday.
Please note: Trucks may arrive earlier during holidays so place your trash out the night before.
All questions and/or concerns to include service, billing, scheduling, account set-up or inquiries should be addressed directly to Waste Management by calling: