Do I need a food service permit to start a catering business?

Yes, a food service permit is needed because the state regulations define a catering business as a type of food-service establishment. A catering business would fall under the same guidelines and requirements as restaurants, coffee shops, cafeterias, etc. The food preparation area would have to be separate from your home kitchen and living quarters. You will also need an alcohol license if you plan to serve alcohol.