City of Sugar Hill

Passport Application Process

Passport hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 am - 4:00 pm New Passport Appointment Only

The City of Sugar Hill does not process renewals for adult applicants (18+ at issuance) who are in possession of a currently valid U.S. Passport or one that has been expired for less than 5 years. If this applies to you, please go to for more information on processing DS-82 Renewal Passports.

Appointments are in 30 minute increments. If you have more than 2 applicants, then the appointment will be an hour. If you have 5 or more persons applying, please call to schedule an appointment.

Options for scheduling an appointment: Online Scheduler, call 770-945-6716 or in person at the Customer Service Desk in Sugar Hill.

  • DS-11 Application (available at City of Sugar Hill or
    • Complete the application in black ink prior to your appointment. DO NOT SIGN.
    • All applicants must appear in person regardless of age.
    • Both parents must be present for minor (age 15 & under) applications. At least one (1) parent must be present for 16-17 year old applicants. If this presents an issue then please call 770-945-6716 for special instructions.

  • Proof of Citizenship (bring one of the following):
    ADULTS (age 18+) ADULTS (age 16-17) MINORS (age 15 & younger)
    Birth Certificate OR Birth Certificate OR Birth Certificate AND
    Previous Passport OR Previous Passport (if you have one) OR Previous Passport (if you have one) OR
    Certificate of Naturalization Certificate of Naturalization Certificate of Naturalization
    • Certified Birth Certificate: Must have raised or colored vital records seal and parental information. Please bring the original AND a black and white photocopy; these certificates cannot be hospital issued. Also, Birth Certificate Cards are not acceptable.
    • Previous Passport: If it was issued as an adult and has been expired more than 5 years, then you may submit your Previous Passport in lieu of a Birth Certificate as long as it is undamaged. Adults (age 16-17) and Minors (age 15 and younger) must submit a Birth Certificate along with their Previous Passport if applicable.
    • Original Certificate of Naturalization: If you are a naturalized citizen.
    • Supporting Documents: If the name on the application differs from the Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate, please call 770-945-6716 with questions regarding Supporting Documents and/or special circumstances. The most common case of this is your name changing after marriage. If you have gotten married and your name differs from your citizenship or ID documents, then your marriage certificate is required.

  • Proof of Identity (bring one of the following unexpired ID documents):
    • Georgia Driver’s License – if you have “Limited Term” or a temporary paper copy, or an out of state driver’s license, you must submit another form of identification. Please call 770-945-6716 for more instructions if this applies to you.
    • Passport
    • Military ID

  • Passport Fee for the U.S. Department of State:
    • Must be a Check (no starter checks) or Money Order made out to the U.S. Department of State. If paying by Money Order, please call to verify fee amount as Money Orders are NOT available for purchase at City Hall or the Post Office at City Hall.

  • Processing Fee for the City of Sugar Hill: A fee is $35.00 for each application made payable to the City of Sugar Hill by Visa, MC, Discover, Check, Cash or Money Order.

  • Passport Photo: We can take the photo for an additional fee of $15.00 made payable to the City of Sugar Hill by Visa, MC, Discover, Check, Cash or Money Order. You may also provide your own photo that meets the passport photo requirements as found at

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us by emailing us at or by calling us at 770-945-6716. If you need to cancel your appointment, please let us know at least 24 hours in advance if possible.

* If you are more than 10 minutes late for your appointment, you will be required to reschedule. *

* If you fail to provide the required documents, it may lengthen the processing times of your passport application process with the U.S. Department of State. *

After you have applied, if you have any questions, concerns, or if you would like to check the status of your application, please call the U.S. Department of State at 1-877-487-2778 or visit their website at