Historic Preservation Society

The Sugar Hill Historic Preservation Society meets on the third Wednesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. All meetings will be held in the Community Room at Sugar Hill City Hall.



The city’s most recent historic marker highlights one of the oldest landmarks that exists in the city, older than the city itself – a Southern Red Oak. Between 150 – 190 years-old with a circumference of 17-feet, this tree has lived in the area since the Civil War.

Our Champion Tree welcomed the area’s early settlers, likely moving here in hopes of striking gold.  Many of these miners mined from Sugar Hill all the way to the Chattahoochee River at gold mines like the 1901 Level Creek Mining Company. Before street names and paved roads, the Southern Red Oak served as a physical landmark for those traveling to and from the area, to be sure they weren’t lost on their way home from school or the mines. The early settlers organized Sugar Hill’s Baptist Church and the Sugar Hill Historic Cemetery in 1886 and what would eventually become the City of Sugar Hill in 1939 continued to grow as a community, with a Southern Red Oak tree present every step of the way.

Meet the Board

Kathryn Baskin


Stephanie Isaacs


Margaret Neal

Digital Archieves

Alexis Torres


Kim Landers

Treasurer, City Liaison

Lindsay Davis


Varessa Butts

Board Member

Donna Bowlick

Board Member

Bill Harting

Board Member

Darrell Pruitt

Board Member

Steve Samples

Board Member

Who can serve on Historic Preservation:

Members shall be citizens of Sugar Hill, affiliated with a business located in Sugar Hill, or serve as one of two at large positions which do not require Sugar Hill residency. In addition, a City Council member will also be encouraged to serve as a member of the Historic Preservation Society. 

Board Member terms are for 4 years beginning 2-10-20
Officer terms are for 2 years beginning 02-10-2020 (Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Secretary, and Treasurer)

Close Search Window
Skip to content