Youth civic engagement is the future of our city, state, and nation. In this spirit, the Sugar Hill Youth Council is dedicated to learning the how’s and why’s of local government as well as participation in the process of democratic governance. The Youth Council works to discuss, examine, and understand local government decision making as well as state-wide policy and current events, strategies for community building, and opportunities to engage the public through events and volunteerism.
Applications for the 2020-2021 Sugar Hill Youth Council are now being accepted. All applications must be received no later than Friday, August 21st at 5 PM. Our organization strongly values proactivity and willingness to engage challenges. Early application submissions are encouraged and will be taken into consideration.
Interested applicants must be available to attend a virtual interview session on Wednesday, August 26th from 5:00 PM until 8:00 PM through Discord (Link will be sent to candidates).
After submitting the application form below, please print the Teacher Recommendation, have your teacher fill it out, and email it to Bhaumi Shah and Lexi Ducote. (firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com)
Applicants for the 2020-2021 Sugar Hill Youth Council must:
- Be available for virtual meetings on Wednesdays from 5:30 PM-7:00 PM until the 6-foot social distancing rule is lifted.
- Be available for physical meetings on Wednesdays from 5:30 PM-7:00 PM at Sugar Hill City Hall after the 6-foot social distancing rule is lifted
- (Membership may be revoked for more than two missed sessions per semester)
- Meet the mandatory webcam requirement for all virtual meetings. If you do not have a webcam, you will be required to invest in one.
- Be a Sophomore or Junior in High School
- Be ready and willing to commit 15-20 hours a month to meetings and meeting preparation, special events, volunteer activities, and other responsibilities associated with the role of Youth Council Member
- Be willing to engage with the Mayor and City Council of Sugar Hill as well as their student bodies
- Be willing to commit to joining at least one additional city-affiliated community group
- Be ready to learn and shape municipal policy
- Be present at various City of Sugar Hill events throughout the year
- Priority will be given to residents who live within the City of Sugar Hill limits
Please feel free to contact any of the Sugar Hill Youth Council leadership listed below with any questions.
Sugar Hill Youth Council Mayor Bhaumi Shah, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sugar Hill Youth Council Mayor Pro Tem Lexi Ducote, email@example.com
Nadia Merritt, City of Sugar Hill, firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Council Advisor Mike Sullivan, email@example.com