CITY OF SUGAR HILL
ARTS COMMISSION MEETING MINUTES
TUESDAY, MARCH 19, 2019
ART GALLERY, 6:00 P.M.
5039 WEST BROAD STREET
SUGAR HILL, GA 30518
Members in attendance were Chair Kerry Murphy, Vice Chair Donna McKinney, Terence Mulligan, Marc Cohen, John Lane, Joyce Cutchins, Drew Dylan, and staff liaison Nicole Klein. Guests Cole and Ronnie with the Boy Scouts were also in attendance.
CALL TO ORDER 6:02 PM
APPROVAL OF AGENDA Motion by Drew Dylan, Second by Terence Mulligan, All in Favor
APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Arts Commission Meeting February 19, 2019 – Motion by Drew Dylan, Second by Terence Mulligan, All in Favor
- Budget – Brief discussion about setting NTEs for different categories, no action taken.
- Art-O-Mat – Goal would be to promote art. Commission was in favor of pursuing acquisition. Commission members will send design preferences this week. Can the machine accept both cash and tokens? Motion NTE $4000 for Art-O-Mat by Drew Dylan, Second by Donna McKinney, All in Favor
- Guest Charlie North also mentioned that there could be a digital vend version of this as well.
- Cole and Ronnie with the boy scouts attended the Arts Commission meeting. Cole needs to undertake an Eagle Scout Project. Some ideas were discussed; including a free little art gallery and a walking museum. Marc Cohen took some time to explain what constituted an Eagle Project as well.
- Art for ECenter
- Several artists were presented and discussed. The Commission would like to incorporate the new piece with live painting at Sugar Rush. Kerry Murphy will reach out and get this quoted.
- Art Gallery Plan Ideas
- Completed and submitted to the Assistant City Manager for future use.
- New Artist of the Month Applicant
- Reviewed Karen Campbell’s submittal. Agreed to reach out and express interest, but stress that the show would not occur until 2020.
- Other learning opportunities were discussed to tie in with the gallery, like art and math or art and science to draw the schools in.
- Lanier High School Gallery – Hanging apparatus will be installed by the end of March. A discussion will then occur on how to progress.
- Art Installed in ECenter and Theatre – Does anyone have a vision?
- Dustin Massey Coming Up!
- SUGAR RUSH – 7 Months Away – talk to Historic Preservation, attend meeting?
- 501c3 Update – Marc and Donna will head this up. Nicole will send them an online course she found that may help.
- Charlie North designed several flag options to go out on the evening of art shows. Motion to approve the first design by Drew Dylan, Second by Joyce Cutchins, All in Favor
ADJOURNMENT Motion by Joyce Cutchins, Second by Marc Cohen, All in Favor. 7:32PM