CITY OF SUGAR HILL
ARTS COMMISSION MEETING MINUTES
TUESDAY, MAY 21, 2019
ART GALLERY, 6:00 P.M.
5039 WEST BROAD STREET
SUGAR HILL, GA 30518
Members Present were Chair Kerry Murphy, Marc Cohen, Drew Dylan, Terence Mulligan, Staff Liaison Nicole Klein, and guests Chandra Brendel and Craig Tilley
Members Absent were John Lane and Joyce Cutchins
CALL TO ORDER 6:03 PM
APPROVAL OF AGENDA with the addition of an Executive session per Marc Cohen. Motion by Drew Dylan, Second by Donna McKinney, All in Favor
APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Arts Commission Meeting March 19, 2019 – Motion by Donna McKinney, Second by Drew Dylan, All in Favor
- SUGAR RUSH
- Assigning Roles and Proceeding
- Doodle Wall – Drew Dylan
- Tiny Gallery and Create Station – Donna McKinney and Craig Tilley
- May need to purchase or build tiny gallery – do research and report back prior to next meeting
- Selfie Wall – Chandra Brendel
- Along “39th Street” – Work with Community Groups to refine vision
- Juried Art Show – Nicole Klein and Joyce Cutchins
- Discussion to share in physical publications such as “the Artist” as well as online.
- Who should this year’s jurors be?
- Poster Contest – Kerry Murphy and Marc Cohen
- Is there a theme?
- Art Scavenger Hunt – Kristina Jaunais and Tiffany Cole
- Confirm that they are interested in taking the lead on this
- Can we involve other schools or art groups? What will the scope be this year?
- Craig Tilley Vine Contribution – Craig Tilley
- Can we involve City Staff in creating signage for the arts, and rebranding Sugar Rush to include some sort of arts-oriented tag line?
- Work with the events department and encourage arts and crafts vendors to participate
- Donna – Does the blacksmith want to return this year?
- Motion to increase Commission Members to 11 by Marc Cohen Donna McKinney, All in Favor
- Cindy Hong Recap
- Vendor Application for Sugar Rush
- Discussed changing the layout of the application to move the emphasis to visual arts up top and require a booth shot as well.
- A machine has been selected. Nicole Klein will reach out to Clark Whittington to obtain a contract and discuss shipping the machine and providing on site training instead of picking it up. Marc Cohen will determine who needs to sign off on the contract as a representative for the Arts Commission.
- Artist of the Month Submittal – Glitter Art
- Nicole Klein will forward the submittal for Commission members review
ADJOURNMENT – Motion to Adjourn to Executive Session by Marc Cohen, Second by Drew Dylan, All in Favor
Out of the executive session, Marc was directed to speak with John Lane
ADJOURNMENT Motion to adjourn by Marc Cohen, Second by Terence Mulligan, All in Favor