City of Sugar Hill
Tuesday, December 6, 2016
City Hall Council Chambers, 5:30 PM
5039 West Broad Street
Sugar Hill, GA 30518
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 5:35 PM.
Members in Attendance: Mayor Taylor Morain, Mayor Pro Temp Aysha Jerald, Kaan Cubukcu, Kayla Roberts, Ethan Shaw, Nida Merchant, Roshni Patel, and Spencer Williams.
- Meeting Agenda:
o Review Meeting Minutes
o Council Reports
o Mrs. USA (Mrs. Emborski)
o Kyle Emerson
o Ice Skating Event
o Youth Ambassadors (Baskets)
- Ethan Shaw motioned to change the last word of the minutes from “meeting” to “motion.” Roshni Patel motioned to remove the repetition of the word, “Council” in the beginning of the agenda.
- Council Reports:
o Kayla Roberts spoke about the sock drive and stated that it was successful.
o Kaan Cubukcu mentioned that the Gwinnett Tech Horticulture event was very successful and thanked the 3 City Council members who were in attendance.
o Taylor Morain reported that the Youth Ambassadors portion of the Tree Lighting event was a wonderful event.
o Aysha Jerald reported that the Instagram has gained 50 followers.
o Mrs. USA shared some personal facts about herself. She began a domestic violence campaign, Victory over Violence, in 2013. She is working on a book, We are not the Enemy, and works with the American Heart Association, American Cancer Society. She is the 2017 chair for the Miss Suwanee and Miss Amazing pageant. She works with the Presidential Volunteer Service Award organization. Students are given credits for volunteer work as well, and the award is given in 12 month increments. The service hours must be approved by a certified organization.
- Kyle Emerson: Kyle is a member of the Lanier High School DECA Club. He is doing a creative marketing project about the City of Sugar Hill. One aspect focuses on the youth of the city, and he wants to create a Radio Station for the youth of Sugar Hill. The high school football games and the city events would be examples of the radio segments. He wants to bring in social media to the Lanier DECA program. He would like to partner with the Sugar Hill Youth Council.
- Ethan Shaw motions to table the Toastmasters to the next meeting, and Kaan Cubukcu seconds this motion.
- Ice Skating Event: In mid-January, Youth Council and Youth Ambassadors will host a skating event as a bonding session.
- Youth Ambassadors: Taylor would like to award the Youth Ambassador with the most volunteer hours.
Meeting Adjournment: The meeting ended at 7:06 PM. Kaan Cubukcu motioned to end the meeting, and Kayla Roberts seconded this motion.