Sugar Hill Downtown Development Authority
Regular Meeting Agenda
May 30th, 2017 | 6:30 PM
City of Sugar Hill City Hall – Community Room
Members Present: Brandon Hembree, Taylor Anderson, Marc Orcutt, Nic Greene, Allen Jorgensen, Nigel Gray, Nancy Wren
Staff Present: Tim Schick, Paul Radford, Troy Besseche, Scott Andrews, Frank Hartley
Guests Present: Kevin McOmber, Jim Johnson (Score), Jack Wolfe, Chris Walker, Representatives from Solomon (Davis Hunt, Jeanette Yosanovich), Steve Watson, Amy Phillips, Bill Harris
I. CALL TO ORDER
II. APPROVAL OF AGENDA Motion Brandon: 2nd Allen. Unanimously approved.
A. Approval of the Minutes of April 25th, 2017 Regular Meeting Motion: Allen, 2nd Marc. Unanimously approved.
III. PUBLIC COMMENTS: Jim Johnson from Score (and member of the Suite Spot Business Incubator) proposed a Goggle video directory sign to assist in marketing efforts at the Suite Spot. Discussion was held on Jim potentially upgrading to a premium membership and allowing him to ease in this new amenity to the Suite Spot.
IV. ACTION ITEMS AND UPDATES:
A. Old Business
1. E Center Project (fka EpiCenter) Kevin from Clark Patterson gave an update on the E Center timeline, construction progress, and the current search for exterior building (brick) finishes. A late June 2018 move-in date is the latest timeline update for the complete project.
a) Leasing update from Oakhurst Realty Partners: Todd Semrau from Oakhurst gave an update on the leasing interest for E Center. Todd spoke about his vision for the placemaking, marketing, economics and activity at the E Center project. Details including interested tenants, pricing recommendations for restaurant/retail ($26 triple net), and upper level retail/office (gross). Mr. Semrau also gave a comparison of the E Center project vs the similar project in Duluth (Parson’s Alley).
2. Iconic Project (fka Icon/Seven) Update: Staff gave an update that a meeting is scheduled with JWM staff in the next two weeks to proceed through the negotiations on the ground lease for the mixed use development.
3. Nexus at Sugar Hill Project (fka Sugar Hill Town Center) Update: Staff gave an update on the Stephen Macauley led development which sits on the Buice School property. Mr. Macauley is in the final stages with his housing partner, Alliance Residential. This mixed use development is based around 306 rental units, a 5 story parking deck, roughly 24 townhomes (constructed by Stonecrest) and restaurant options. The goal is to have this roughly $70 million dollar project close in December 2017.
4. Holbrook Project (fka Solomon) Update: Davis Hunt, Bill Davis and the team from Solomon provided an update on the project which sits on corner of Hwy 20 and W Broad Street (across W Broad from Mr. Lee’s building). Davis Hunt has a strong financial partner in mind for the independent living Holbrook development. The project is slotted to include 175 units with 30 cottage units.
5. Dogwood Forest Project Update: Bill Davis provided the group the latest set of project renderings which include 93 assisted living, and 27 memory care units. The project is scheduled to close in September 2017. The inducement resolution will be ready for the DDA’s review in the next few weeks, which may require a special called DDA meeting prior to the June meeting. This project will be roughly a $35 million dollar development.
6. RaceTrac Project Update: Staff provided an update on the project. The underground gas tanks have been buried and steel is being erected in the last few days.
7. Suite Spot
a) SHBTG update: Mr Orcutt provided an update on the uptick of memberships and utilization. Discussion was also held on adding more dedicated spaces (7 or 8) to the upstairs of the Suite Spot and moving the conference table downstairs to open up the downstairs of the Suite Spot. More discussion will be held on this in the June DDA meeting.
B. New Business
1. Dogwood Forest Project
a) Inducement Resolution & Amendment Tabled to June (or special called DDA meeting).
2. E Center Project
a) Approval for contract with Neal & Wright Attorneys for leasing documents. Staff spoke to the point that current legal council (Frank Hartley) can provide the lease drafts as needed for the E Center. However, the Frank, Lee and the city legal representation team did ask to review the final lease language but not be the architect of the lease language. A recommendation was made by Brandon to implement a cost amount that services are not to exceed. Motion to table until June Allen, 2nd Nic G. Unanimously approved.
3. Suite Spot
a. Mural 2 (Western side) Discussion: artist and Preservation Society Chairman, Chris Walker gave an overview of the mural project, the initial funding to get started ($3000 from PPI) and the DDA to match for $3000. Motion to match dollar for dollar up to $10,000 with CN Walker Designs (Chris Walker) : Brandon, Allen. Item approved 5-1. Nancy abstained.
b) Dedicated Workspace Discussion: Discussion was also held on adding more dedicated spaces (7 or 8) to the upstairs of the Suite Spot and moving the conference table downstairs to open up the downstairs of the Suite Spot. More discussion will be held on this in the June DDA meeting.
VI. City of Sugar Hill Staff Comments: City staff gave an update on the most recent Collective Soul concert which was well received and completely sold out.
VII. DDA Member/Officer comments:
A. Budget report: The budget was provided to the group. Motion to approve Allen, 2nd Brandon, Unanimously approved. Motion to enter executive session: Nic, 2nd Brandon.
Executive Session entered at 8:51pm.
Motion to leave executive session: Nic, 2nd Brandon.
Motion to adjourn Allen, 2nd Nic. 9:09pm
VIII. If needed, Executive Session to discuss items, which are exempt from the open meetings act pursuant to O.C.G.A. section 50-14-3.
IX. If needed, public action to be taken as a result of Executive Session