CALL TO ORDER at 7:00 pm by Chairman, Todd Herion.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG led by Chairman, Todd Herion.
APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA
Commission Member Jeremy White made a motion to approve the agenda with the change to remove the Election of Chairman, Vice Chairman and Secretary, and Change the date for the approval of minutes to February 15, 2016. Vice Chairman Barry Pullen made the second. Approved 5-0.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Approval of the February 15, 2016 minutes as written.
Commission Member Rosemary Walsh made a motion to approve the February 15, 2016 minutes as written. Chairman Jeremy White made the second. Approved 4-1 (Vice Chairman Barry Pullen abstained).
- PUBLIC HEARING RZ-16-001, Home South Communities is requesting to Rezone 11.131 Acres at Buford Highway 23 and White Oak Drive to RM for an 86 Unit Townhome Community.
Planner Susan Puri went over the staff recommendation for denial indicating this request does not conform to the land use plan. The Public Hearing was opened; applicant representative Mitch Peevy spoke on behalf of this request. Mr. Peevy indicated they have reached an agreement with the neighboring property owner Regency Church of God to incorporate the following conditions;
- In addition to a 6’ high solid privacy fence that will surround the entire gated development, the applicant has agreed to install 8’ high masonry privacy fence adjacent to the church property. Part of that 8’ high fence will actually be on the church property because of topography.
- Continue the fence line on the church property along the Pugh property line.
- Remove the full grown tall pine trees that only have limbs on one side adjacent to the church property.
- If development is approved the three building adjacent to the Church property will be constructed first in an effort to work away from the church.
- Also the developer agrees to make sure the new home buyers understand they would be buying property adjacent to an active church.
- Construction Activity will end during the weekdays by 6 pm, and there will be no construction on Sundays.
Dr. Terry Reece, from Regency Church of God spoke in support of this request. He also submitted a letter with a list of conditions. Citizens and Guest who spoke in opposition were Kelly Long and Kaipo Awana. Staff also received letters of opposition from Virginia and Robert Saine, Barbara Womack, and Kaipo and Krissy Awana. Some of the issues raised were; opposition to reducing the buffer zone from 50’ to 25’, the lot off White Oak Drive proposed for this development was once a Residential Home and this lot was intended for residential use not a multi-family development. In addition, White Oak Drive is a dead end street in a quiet neighborhood. Furthermore, a Multi-Family Development of this nature turns into a buy and then lease property. Residents along White Oak Drive also expressed concern at having to face the rear of these buildings. The building structures are inconsistent with the streetscape and pattern of existing development along White Oak Drive. The rear setback for the proposed development is much closer than the front setback for the existing homes along White Oak Drive The Public Hearing was closed. All letter are attached and incorporated into these minutes. Commission Member Jeremy White made a motion for denial. Commission Member Julie Adams seconded the motion. Approved for DENIAL 5-0.
- PUBLIC HEARING Zoning Ordinance Amendment Article 10, Overlay Zoning Districts. The proposed text amendments include changes to the Central Business District.
Planner Susan Puri went over the staff recommendation for approval. The Public Hearing was opened and closed; there were no public comments. Commission Member Rosemary Walsh made a motion to approve as recommended by staff. Vice Chairman Barry Pullen made the second. Approved 5-0.
BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS
Commission Member Jeremy White made a motion to adjourn. Chairman Todd Herion made the second. Approved 5-0.
Meeting adjourned 7:46 pm