City of Sugar Hill Youth Council Session
Wednesday, October 4th, 2017 5:30 P.M.
City Hall Council Chambers,
5039 West Broad Street
Sugar Hill, GA 30518
Members in Attendance: Spencer Grace Williams, Kaan Cubukcu, Ethan Shaw, Nida Merchant, Camryn Flores, Laura Ann Acker, Maya Chande, Camden Doker
Meeting called to order at 5:33 pm
Previous meeting’s minutes corrections:
- “Sweet Spot” corrected to “Suite Spot”
- Camryn, through the superintendent’s student advisory council, will be interviewing Lanier’s Principal and the District Superintendent with the end goal of a community service project.
- Nida held the first Youth Ambassador’s meeting yesterday, October 3rd.
Youth Ambassador Updates
- Ideas for the Sugar Rush city event:
- Decorating Cookies
- Photo booth ( ~?, already in place through the .gif booth )
- Painting Pumpkins ( ~?, already happening but we could take over )
- Decorating hygiene supplies (tissues, hand sanitizer) with positive messages (hospital involvement/donation?)
- Youth Council / Youth Ambassador Promotion
- Power Flower Project involvement
- Sending out letters & personalized items to kids and families in need around the world
- Going to elementary schools- library work, tutoring
- College/Career fair
Overall, the meeting went well!
Educational Youth Group Meetings
- Youth-led seminars/panels where we invite 8th graders or high schoolers about dressing professionally or how to interview, etc.
- May involve companies or the city
- Ideal scenario- first event sometime this year — early December
- Need a slogan/brand name
- Quick, monthly, ~elite?
- Topic: Dressing for Success or Writing a Resume
- Time frame – next week, nail down a date
Brainstorming – Increasing Youth Involvement
- Next meeting, each member is to bring an idea so we do a calendar-setting work session
- Goal is to have a list of events/commitments, the times and dates of the events, and the planning periods clearly defined.
- Set into action a series of legacy projects that will move our community forward for a long time to come
- Each member is to draft a google doc, as specific as possible, detailing their ideas for community service/ youth service projects by the next meeting