POSITION TITLE: Facility Maintenance Technician
REPORTS TO: Facility Manager
The Building Maintenance Technician is an hourly (non-exempt) position responsible for the minor repair of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems in city buildings and facilities, including carpentry, painting, lighting, and other building trade functions at a general level.
- Implements, and improves a strong preventative maintenance program
- Performs light carpentry, masonry, electrical, plumbing, painting and related work in the daily up-keep of city assets
- Cost-effectively addresses building maintenance and related issues
- Assists with the planning, preparation, and administration of projects involving City facilities
- Assists with custodial services, energy conservation, facility capital projects, tenant improvement projects
- Keeps current with best practices in work methods, organizational structure, technology and use of materials in the field of building management and proposes need changes that are cost effective, provide quality of life for staff and patrons, are efficient and provide for redundancy and flexibility
- Monitors and ensures compliance with various required inspections for each facility (Fire Marshal, Elevator Inspections, Alarm systems, boilers, back flow inspections, and fire extinguishers)
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED
- Two (2) years of experience in the building construction trades, preferably in the maintenance of occupied buildings
- Hold a valid driver’s license
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Maintain a clean work area
- Shows initiative on the job
- Accepts criticism and accepts direction
- Follows standard methods, materials, and equipment used in the building construction trades
- General familiarity with applicable codes
- Operate basic computerized software programs; Microsoft Word, Excel & Office
- Environmental and safety practices, procedures and standards
- Work on a shift basis, staggered work week, and be able to work unusual hours in emergency situations.
Considerable ability to:
- Communicate clearly and effectively in English in person, over the telephone and in public.
- Demonstrate sensitivity, tact, and excellent customer service while interacting with others.
- Learn to read and interpret construction drawings
- Work independently and take action on work-related issues
- Take direction and follow established policies and procedures
- Establish and maintain courteous and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Work effectively as part of a group or team to achieve common goals
- Evaluate situations, identify problems, and exercise initiative and sound independent judgment within established guidelines
- Interpret and follow oral and written instructions
- Communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Perform basic arithmetic calculations with accuracy
- Perform heavy physical labor
- Work outdoors and sometimes in unpleasant environments or weather conditions
- Lift and carry 50 lbs. of static weight
- Walk or stand for extended periods of time
- Bend, stoop, reach, carry, crawl, climb and lift as necessary to perform assigned duties
- Effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workload and meet strict deadlines
The Facility Maintenance Technician has a primary focus on providing superior workmanship in the repairs and maintenance of city-owned facilities and equipment in the City of Sugar Hill by inspecting and maintaining city-owned assets and completing work orders in a timely manner. Incumbents in this classification must maintain professionalism and courtesy when exposed to stressful situations and perform functions associated with programs associated with typical public works operations.
Applications accepted at City Hall, City of Sugar Hill, ATTN: Jane Whittington, City Clerk, 5039 West Broad Street, Sugar Hill, Georgia 30518, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application forms and background release are available at the link below:
The City of Sugar Hill is a Drug Free Workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.