Youth civic engagement is the future of our city, state, and nation. In this spirit, the Sugar Hill Youth Council is dedicated to learning the how’s and why’s of local government as well as participation in the process of democratic governance. The Youth Council works to discuss, examine, and understand local government decision making as well as state-wide policy and current events, strategies for community building, and opportunities to engage the public through events and volunteerism.
Applications for the 2019-2020 Sugar Hill Youth Council are now being accepted. All applications must be received no later than Friday, August 23rd at 5 PM. Our organization strongly values proactivity and willingness to engage challenges. Early application submissions are encouraged and will be taken into consideration.
Interested applicants must be available to attend an interview session on Wednesday, August 28th from 5:00 PM until 8 PM at Sugar Hill City Hall (5039 West Broad Street, Sugar Hill, GA 30518).
After submitting the application form below, please print the Youth Council Sugar Hill Teacher Rec, have your teacher fill it out, and bring your completed recommendation with you to your interview.
Applicants for the 2019-2020 Sugar Hill Youth Council must:
- Be available for meetings on Wednesdays from 5:30PM-7:00 PM
(Membership may be revoked for more than two missed sessions per semester)
- Be a current high school student
- Be ready and willing to commit 15-20 hours a month to meetings and meeting preparation, special events, volunteer activities, and other responsibilities associated with the role of Youth Council Member
- Be willing to engage with the Mayor and City Council of Sugar Hill as well as their student bodies
- Attend at least one City Council session (1st Monday of each month, 7 pm) and one City Council Meeting (2nd Monday of each month, 7:30 pm) per semester not including participation in the swearing in ceremony conducted as the beginning of the term
- Be willing to commit to joining at least one additional city-affiliated community group
- Be ready to learn and shape municipal policy
- Be present at various City of Sugar Hill events throughout the year
- Priority will be given to residents who live within the City of Sugar Hill limits
Please feel free to contact any of the Sugar Hill Youth Council leadership listed below with any questions.
Sugar Hill Youth Council Mayor Khushi Mehta firstname.lastname@example.org
Sugar Hill Youth Council Mayor Pro Tem Lexi Ducote email@example.com
Mercy Montgomery, City of Sugar Hill, firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Council Advisor Mike Sullivan, email@example.com