Youth civic engagement is the future of our city, state, and nation. In this spirit, the Sugar Hill Youth Council is dedicated to learning the how’s and why’s of local government as well as participation in the process of democratic governance. The Youth Council works to discuss, examine, and understand local government decision making as well as state-wide policy and current events, strategies for community building, and opportunities to engage the public through events and volunteerism.
Applications for the 2021-2022 Sugar Hill Youth Council are now being accepted. All applications must be received no later than Friday, August 20th at 5 PM. Our organization strongly values proactivity and willingness to engage challenges. Early application submissions are encouraged and will be taken into consideration.
Interested applicants must be available to attend an interview session on Wednesday, August 25th from 5:00 PM until 8:00 PM at Sugar Hill City Hall, in the City Council Chambers.
After submitting the application form below, please print the Teacher Recommendation, have your teacher fill it out, and email it to Milen Patel and Maya Laurens. (email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org)
Applicants for the 2021-2022 Sugar Hill Youth Council must:
- Be available for meetings on Wednesdays from 5:30 PM-7:00 PM at Sugar Hill City Hall
- (Membership may be revoked for more than two missed sessions per semester)
- Be a Sophomore or Junior in High School (Will consider Seniors if outstanding)
- Be ready and willing to commit 15-20 hours a month to meetings and meeting preparation, special events, volunteer activities, and other responsibilities associated with the role of Youth Council Member; Including being available to attend City Council work sessions and meetings the first and second Monday of each month
- Be willing to engage with the Mayor and City Council of Sugar Hill as well as their student bodies
- Be willing to commit to joining at least one additional city-affiliated community group
- Be ready to learn and shape municipal policy
- Attend Cities United (downtown Atlanta), Jan 22-24 (Sat – Mon)
- Be prepared to travel out of state for future events.
- Be present at various City of Sugar Hill events throughout the year
- Priority will be given to residents who live within the City of Sugar Hill limits
Please feel free to contact any of the Sugar Hill Youth Council leadership listed below with any questions.
Sugar Hill Youth Council Mayor Milen Patel email@example.com
Sugar Hill Youth Council Mayor Pro Tem Maya Laurens firstname.lastname@example.org
Nadia Merritt, City of Sugar Hill, email@example.com
Youth Council Advisor Mike Sullivan, firstname.lastname@example.org